Why should you consider replacing your windows?
Windows allow natural light to flood your rooms and let in fresh air to help keep it dry. They enhance both the indoor and outdoor appeal of your home, helping you define the style of your house.
Apart from the aesthetics, replacing your old, drafty windows and doors will also make your house more energy-efficient – and impress potential buyers. What’s more, installing new energy-saving windows guarantees one of the best ROIs you can make on your home – up to 80% of your investment costs!
Why should you estimate the cost to replace your windows?
A well-installed, beautiful window improves the look, value, and comfort factors of your property.
Once you make the commitment to replace your windows, you need to know how much of an investment you require for this home renovation.
An estimate helps you organize your home improvement project and effectively manage milestones and costs.
Acquiring a free estimate for your window replacement will help you create a realistic budget – getting you quality work at a fair price. It’s also the best way to ensure that you don’t stumble across any unwelcome surprises during the execution of your project.
How does Kukun’s window replacement cost estimator help you?
Our free and easy-to-use window replacement cost estimator gives you detailed options to enter inputs and then calculates an estimate of your expenses. Even better: You can try out any number of combinations to finally arrive at your desired figure!
Let us take you through our estimator so that you can see what it takes into consideration when calculating your total replacement cost
1. To start, you will be asked if you’d like to add new windows or retrofit windows to your home.
2. On the next screen, you will be asked to select the type of window from a list of options. Enter the type of window by selecting any of these options:
- Single Hung
- Double Hung
- Patio Slider
3. Based on the type of window you selected, you will be presented with the choice of opening types that are possible for that respective type of window.
4. After that, you will be asked for the size of the window and the material you prefer for your windows. Choose the window material from the following options:
- Vinyl Clad
- Fiberglass Clad
- Wood Clad
5. If you prefer to have Divided-Light Windows, you can choose that option before arriving at your final estimate.
6. Enter your property details. Enter your zip code and the year the property was built. (We do not share this information, but it helps us give you a better estimate because labor and material costs vary widely by geography)
That’s it! You will now get your cost estimate for your window project.
With this estimate, you can analyze your finance options or hire a professional to get started on the work right away.
If you also want to calculate your return on investment (ROI), there is an option for that. Simply select the checkbox “Include the equity I could be building in my house calculations” and proceed by giving additional details, including:
- Zip code
- Full address
- Number of bedrooms and bathrooms in the house
- Year of build
- Property type
- Current market value of your property
- Does your house have a garage or swimming pool?
- Size of your house and lot in square feet
The above information will be used to calculate the material and labor costs in your area so that you can arrive at the total recoup value of this project.
We are happy to offer you options for professional remodeling contractors who have worked in your neighborhood and who have been vetted by your neighbors. You can explore each contractor's profile, check out their online reviews, view all their previous permits, and ask around your vicinity about whether you should hire them.
The best way to replace a window? Always plan ahead
The budget for any home remodeling project – no matter how foolproof the calculations are – should always include leeway for some surprise costs. Experts advise allocating 20% of your budget for such unexpected costs.
Maintain your budget and timeline in order to manage a home renovation project seamlessly. Plan ahead and don't keep anything pending after your project starts.
Get a written contract from your contractor. The document should detail the complete schedule, along with deadlines for milestones. This will help you to keep track and calculate the actual timeline of the project. Also, discuss and mutually agree on the payment schedule with your contractor. This needs to be documented in the contract as well.
Hiring a remodeling expert is necessary for this kind of project. A professional will ensure that all permits and inspections are up to date. Windows are an important consideration for homebuyers when deciding to buy a property. Displaying a professional finish can go a long way in helping you get the best price possible.
Keep in mind that your contractor should have expertise in installing new windows. A final word of contract advice? Be sure to get a warranty or guarantee from your contractor.