How do half bathroom costs vary according to size and zip code?
Your complete powder room remodel cost takes into account a number of factors, including the total square footage, the scope of renovation, the type of fixtures, the materials and bathroom flooring you choose, your zip code, local labor costs, and finishing details.
Moreover, the cost of a powder room remodel depends on whether you are using existing floor space or are building onto the house. Where it will be located also matters: if it’s close to existing plumbing, it will cost you less.
To get a general idea, check out the table below for an estimate of how the cost varies according to city and project size.
Why should you estimate the cost of your half bathroom?
Most homeowners add a half bathroom or powder room to their home for the convenience it offers their guests (bonus: they don’t have to use the master bathroom) and because is not as costly as installing a full bathroom.
It’s also easier to carve out space for a half bathroom from your existing floor plan than a full bath.
Once you make the commitment to build a half bathroom, you need to know how much of an investment this home improvement will be.
A carefully planned remodeling project can greatly increase the value of your property in the home buyers’ market.
The ROI on your home sale can be up to 70% of your total investment, as long as you do the right groundwork, and use the right methods and materials.
Acquiring a free estimate for your powder room remodel cost will help you create a realistic budget for your renovation. It’s also the best way to ensure that you don’t stumble across any unwelcome surprises during the execution of your project.
How does Kukun’s half bathroom cost estimator help you?
Getting an estimate through Kukun’s half bathroom cost estimator is easy. Just follow the steps below to get your custom, personalized total cost in minutes!
1. Enter type of remodeling and size of property
Select the type of remodeling you want from the three options:
Adding new square footage to the house. This option requires new foundation. You can choose to add square feet to a single-story home OR to the second story.
Remodeling the half bathroom without any change to the walls.
Expanding the existing area by moving walls within or outside the perimeter of the house. This option might require the addition of new foundation as well.
Enter the size of your space on the same page:
- Small: 5' x 5'
- Medium: 8' x 5'
- Large: 10' x 6'
- Custom: Measurements according to your specifications
2. Enter the property details by giving your zip code and the year the property was built.
(We do not share this information! It just helps us give you a better estimate because labor and material costs vary region to region.)
3. Enter scope of renovation
Choose the scope of your remodeling from the three options below:
- Ready to Sell
- Typical Renovation
- Down to the Studs
4. Uncheck the works you want excluded
By default, the following categories of tasks are included in the project. You can customize your renovation by simply choosing the categories you wish to exclude:
- Demolition, framing, roofing and windows
- Plumbing fixtures
- Countertops, cabinets and hardware
And there you go! An estimate for your powder room remodel cost is ready!
With this estimate, you can analyze your finance options or hire a professional to get started on the work right away.
If you also want to calculate your return on investment (ROI), there is an option for that. Simply select the checkbox “Include the equity I could be building in my house calculations” and proceed by giving additional details, including:
- Zip code
- Full address
- Number of bedrooms and bathrooms in the house
- Year of build
- Property type
- Current market value of your property
- Does your house have a garage or swimming pool?
- Size of your house and lot in square feet
The above information will be used to calculate the material and labor costs in your area so that you can arrive at the total recoup value of this project.
And there’s more good news. We even offer you options for professional remodeling contractors who have worked in your neighborhood and who have been vetted by your neighbors.
You can conveniently explore the contractor's profile, check out their online reviews and view all their previous permits. Basically, you can fully research any contractor before hiring them.
The best way to carry out a half bathroom renovation? Always plan ahead
It’s best to plan your powder room renovation in a proper manner. Here are some tips for a seamless home improvement:
- Begin your project by setting a realistic home remodeling budget.
- Always include leeway (extra 20%) for some surprise costs.
- Check your local building code for all permit requirements.
- Utilize the space with the right half bath design and layout.
- Get your construction, plumbing, electrical and lighting in place.
- Choose the best bath fittings and materials.
- Install a corner sink (preferably a pedestal, vessel or trough sink).
- Get a minimally sized vanity with rounded corners.
- Consider extending the counter/storage over the toilet.
- Save space by mounting the towel bar or other fitments on the door.
- Work with expert bathroom contractors.
- Be sure to get a written warranty or guarantee from them.
- The contract should detail the complete schedule, deadlines for milestones and payment schedule.
- Maintain the timeline for an easier, faster renovation job.
You really do need to plan ahead and not leave anything pending. The right approach will help you avoid unexpected hassles and issues. After all, you want your new home improvement project to fit perfectly into your home.