A popcorn ceiling – also called a cottage cheese or acoustic ceiling – has the look and feel similar to popcorn, hence the name. Textured ceilings were hugely popular in the 20th century because the texture could hide imperfections such as nail holes, screws and water damage spots. Today, however, popcorn ceilings have lost all their charm.
In fact, such an outdated ceiling lowers a house’s value on the market. It’s a big no-no to potential home buyers.
Since repairing or even repainting an aging popcorn ceiling can be expensive, it’s best to replace it altogether. This is especially necessary if the owner is planning to sell the house for a good return on investment.
A popcorn ceiling removal can cost a lot more if you don’t plan your home improvement well. Acquiring a free estimate will help you create a realistic budget, do the right groundwork, and use the right methods and materials.
Naturally, you have to know the approximate cost to calculate what you can afford to spend. That’s also the best way to ensure that you don’t stumble across any unwelcome surprises during the execution of your project.
How does Kukun’s popcorn ceiling removal cost estimator help you?
Getting an estimate through Kukun’s popcorn ceiling removal cost estimator is easy. Just follow the steps below to get your custom, personalized total cost in minutes!
1. Enter the size of property by choosing any of the following:
- Small: 80 Sq.ft
- Medium: 168 Sq.ft
- Large: 432 Sq.ft
- Custom: You can add measurements according to your specifications
Keep in mind that the scope of renovation involves scraping popcorn ceilings and getting them ready for a fresh coat of paint. This project doesn’t include priming and painting your newly smoothed-out ceiling. Know that minimum charges may apply for small jobs.
2. Enter property details
Enter the full address to get the recoup value of your house aka ROI or just give zipcode to get just the renovation cost estimate.
And there you go! An estimate for your popcorn ceiling removal cost is ready!
With this estimate, you can analyze your finance options or hire a professional to get started on the work right away.
We are happy to offer you options for professional remodeling contractors who have worked in your neighborhood and who have been vetted by your neighbors and your city. You can explore the contractor's profile, check out their online reviews, view all their previous permits, and then ask around your vicinity about whether you should hire them.
The best way to carry out a popcorn ceiling removal? Always plan ahead
It’s very important that you plan your popcorn ceiling removal well in advance. Here are some tips to make the process easy, quick, and safe:
- Set a realistic home remodeling budget. Always include leeway for some surprise costs – experts advise adding 20% extra to your existing budget.
- Test your popcorn ceiling for asbestos.
- Hire a professional to do the job. It’s important that you do not come in contact with asbestos.
- Keep in mind that your contractor should have expertise in all areas of a popcorn ceiling removal.
- Never try to follow a DIY or home remedy guide for removing asbestos.
- Check your local building code for any permit requirements. Removing a popcorn ceiling that has asbestos will require a permit.
- Monitor the entire removal process.
- Be sure to get a warranty or guarantee from your contractor.
- Get a written contract from your contractor. The document should detail the complete schedule, deadlines for milestones and payment details.
- Maintain a timeline in order to manage a seamless popcorn ceiling removal.
These steps will help you avoid unexpected hassles and issues and make your popcorn ceiling removal project go smoothly.