New installation vs replacing cabinets
Whether it’s a new installation or a cabinet replacement will affect what the final cabinets will cost. A new installation is much easier. Moreover, it doesn’t require the removal of old cabinets or other demo work. In the case of a replacement, a carpenter or handyman will charge an average fee of $60 to $90 per hour to tear out your old cabinets and dispose of them.
Labor cost to hang cabinets
Labor costs range from $50 to $250 per linear foot on average. The exact amount depends on the type of installation needed for your cabinetry. Needless to say, custom installation takes longer than one with stock units, thereby increasing your overall installation price. An installer charges about $35–$65 per hour.
The type of cabinet material you choose will depend on your remodeling budget and, of course, your preference. Here’s a look at some popular cabinet materials with their pros and cons. The goal is to help you decide which one best fits your needs.
Why should you estimate the cost of your cabinet installation?
New cabinets can freshen up any room’s appearance. Cabinetry comes in many styles. From contemporary or shaker to ultra-modern or open-faced, your cabinetry can personalize your space and integrate it into the aesthetics of your home. Most importantly, well-installed cabinetry adds value to your home.
Once you decide to remodel your cabinets, you need to know how much of an investment you require for this home renovation. Estimating cabinet installation costs is easier when you know which factors to consider.
An estimate helps you organize your home improvement project and effectively manage milestones and costs.
Acquiring a free estimate for your cabinet remodeling will help you create a realistic budget – getting you quality work at a fair price. It’s also the best way to ensure that you don’t stumble across any unwelcome surprises during the execution of your project.
How does Kukun’s cabinet installation cost estimator help you?
Getting an estimate through Kukun’s cabinet installation cost estimator is easy. Just follow the steps below to get your personalized total remodel cost in minutes!
1. Choose the type of remodel from the two options:
- Refinish existing cabinets
- Add new cabinets
2. In case you choose ‘add new cabinets’, select the level of customization from the following options:
(This step is skipped if you select the refinishing option)
3. Enter the linear footage of your cabinetry
4. Mention if you want the cabinets as part of an island, peninsula, or both
5. Enter the linear footage of the island/peninsula or both
6. Enter your property details
Enter the full address to also get the return on investment (ROI)/recoup value of your house or just your zip code to get the renovation cost estimate.
You can rest assured, we do not share this information. It just helps us give you a better cost estimate because labor and material prices vary widely by geography.
And there you go – an estimate for your cabinet installation cost is ready!
With this free estimate, you can analyze your finance options or hire a professional to get started on the work right away. You can explore each contractor's profile, check out their online reviews and view all their previous permit details.
The best way to install or redo cabinets? Always plan ahead
It’s very important that you plan your cabinet remodel well in advance. Here are some tips to make the process easy and quick:
- Set a realistic home remodeling budget. Always include leeway for some surprise costs. According to experts, you should add 20% extra to your existing budget.
- Work with an expert cabinet installer you can trust. A professional finish (as compared to a DIY project) goes a long way in adding to the beauty and value of your home.
- Do your research before determining the right cabinet material for your needs.
- When choosing the color and pattern, consider installing matching cabinets to create a cohesive style.
- Prepare for the day of cabinet installation. Remove all breakables and valuables from the old cabinets.
- Clear a path for removing the old cabinets and bringing in your new cabinets.
- Get all the information on how to care for new cabinets before finalizing the type material of want.
- Get a written contract from your contractor with a warranty or guarantee and details about the payment process.
- Though you can install cabinets anytime of the year, it’s more economical to avoid the spring and summer rush.
These steps will help you avoid unexpected hassles and issues, and make your cabinet installation project run smoothly.