How long does it take to remodel a garage on average?
One of the most important factors that affect your garage remodeling timeline is of course the size of the space. While a single-car garage may take less than a week, a two-car garage or a more complicated renovation will take a few weeks.
If you’re going for a drywall and finishing, that alone could take around four days. Once the garage wall is prepared, you can begin the paint job. This part of the remodeling takes about two to three days.
The total time taken for your garage remodel depends a lot on whether it’s a DIY project or you’ve decided to hire professionals for the task. Needless to say, the work will take longer for a first-timer.
How to remodel a garage?
- 1. Make a plan regarding the goals of your garage.
- 2. Consult a professional to know how much it will cost to realize your garage vision.
- 3. Arrange for the necessary permits and inspections.
- 4. Empty the garage space.
- 5. If your garage is built lower than the rest of your home, you will need to construct a subfloor.
- 6. Change the existing garage door if it’s damaged.
- 7. Add new windows or egress windows if there’s a requirement.
- 8. Consider adding heating and cooling.
- 9. Put into place the necessary ducting and wiring by a professional electrician.
- 10. Make sure the garage walls are insulated according to code.
- 11. Get your drywall up.
- 12. Choose the right paint color for your wall covering.
- 13. Put a new garage flooring into place.
- 14. Install the new light fixtures and add outlet covers.
- 15. Have a walkthrough with your contractor.
- 16. Keep a record of all inspections, documentation, and warranties.
Is it a good idea to drywall your garage?
The installation of drywall and insulation in your garage would help make it more energy efficient. You can easily maintain a comfortable temperature, an extremely useful feature if you’re planning to spend a lot of time there. A drywall also makes your garage look like an extension of your living space rather than just a place to keep your vehicles.
Why should you estimate the cost of your garage remodeling project?
Your garage serves many purposes apart from being a place to park your car. From acting as a storage area and workshop, to being a separate entry to your home, a potential living space or even a game room, this space is an important part of your house.
Most homeowners plan a garage renovation as their existing structure gets old and outdated. Some even choose to convert their garage into another living area. Whatever the purpose, a renovation project can increase the value of your house in the real estate industry.
The ROI on your home sale can be up to 70% of your total investment as long as you do the right groundwork, use the right tools and make the right choices for materials.
Naturally, you have to know the cost of these things in order to calculate what you can afford to spend. It’s also the best way to ensure that you don’t stumble across any unwelcome surprises during the execution of your project.
Acquiring a free estimate for your garage remodel will help you create a realistic budget.
How does Kukun’s garage remodel cost estimator help you?
Getting an estimate through Kukun’s garage remodel cost estimator is easy. Just follow the steps below to get your custom, personalized total cost in minutes!
1. Enter type of remodeling you require:
Remodeling the room without any change to the walls.
Expanding the existing area by moving walls within or outside the perimeter of the garage.
2. Select the size of your garage space:
3. Enter the scope of renovation:
- Cosmetic Changes:
Ideal if you are selling your home. Cosmetic changes to the garage remodel may include finishing interior texture (already sheetrocked), painting and changing a few light fixtures. Outdoor recreational equipment and last year's holiday decorations not included. NO permit required.
- Typical Renovation:
Ideal if you are just changing the interior. A typical renovation garage remodel includes adding some electrical outlets, lighting, insulation, sheetrock, tape, texture and paint. Permit required.
- Down to the Studs:
Ideal if you are stripping walls or want to change plumbing and electrical. A Down to the Studs garage remodel includes all the bells and whistles of the Typical Renovation level, plus additional outlets and circuits, room for an electric car charger, custom cabinets and workbenches. Does not include a new luxury automobile. Permit required.
4. Choose the level of finish you want from the three options below:
Budget friendly is an economical finish level and gives you the feeling you get when you step into a newly built home.
Mid range finish level is higher end and includes higher quality materials and more personalized options like recessed lighting, higher end appliances, etc.
Materials are high end and customized to the owner's taste. Every material will be differentiated and may take a little longer to put together, but the finished product is amazing.
On the same page, you can also customize your remodeling further by choosing between replacing your existing garage door and adding a new door.
5. Enter your property details
Enter the full address to get ROI /recoup value of your house or just give zipcode to get just the renovation cost estimate.
And there you go! Your garage remodeling project estimate is ready!
With this estimate, you can analyze your finance options or hire a professional to get started on the work right away.
Want options for professional remodeling contractors? We have your back. We’ll help you zero in on contractors who have worked in your neighborhood and who have been vetted by your neighbors.
You can conveniently explore the contractor's profile, check out their online reviews, view all their previous permits, and then ask around your vicinity about whether you should hire them or not.
The best way to remodel a garage? Always plan ahead
Garage remodeling plays a very important role in making your house more efficient and enhancing its curb appeal. It is therefore crucial that you do your research before beginning the renovation.
You also need to plan ahead and not keep anything pending after the project starts. Here are a few steps you should be taking:
- Be clear about your garage requirements
- Check your local building code for all permit requirements.
- Choose garage flooring that best suits the purpose of your garage.
- Add insulation to your garage walls as well as garage doors to reduce your energy bills.
- Brighten up the space with a new color scheme.
- Think about installing windows for better ventilation.
- Consider lofting your garage in order to best utilize the space.
- Improve your garage lighting and its electrical capacity.
- Although garage remodeling can be done year-round, you can take advantage of the slow winter season to avoid any rush
- Determine a budget and timeline in order to manage your garage remodeling seamlessly.
- Be prepared for some surprise costs. Your home remodeling budget – no matter how foolproof it seems – should always include leeway (at least 20% extra) for these surprise costs.
- Hire a contractor who has expertise in garage remodeling. A professional will ensure that the remodeling is up to code.
- Get a written contract from your contractor. The document should detail the complete schedule, deadlines for milestones and payment procedure.
- Be sure to get a warranty or guarantee from your contractor.
A planned garage remodeling project will make your space more appealing – both visually and functionally. After all, garages are often an important consideration for home buyers when deciding whether to buy a property.