Why should you estimate the cost to replace electrical panels?
An electrical panel upgrade can easily add value to your home by providing the additional amps and circuits needed for living life.
Modern households depend on electrical energy a lot. If you consider the average kitchen, with all its appliances and small electrical devices, this room alone would require an abundance of both 220-volt and standard 120-volt outlets. That makes upgraded electrical panels the need of the hour.
Outdated electrical panels in older homes can be a safety hazard. You don’t want your old panels to corrode or overheat, causing a fire or damage to your internal wiring. And they may lack a main circuit breaker. Furthermore, your archaic home electrical system may not be able to handle the electrical load of modern appliances – forcing them to run on less-than-full power and decreasing their efficiency.
If you frequently witness blown fuses, crackling sounds from your panel box, or a lack of grounded (GFCI) outlets in areas such as the kitchen and bathroom, it’s time for an upgrade.
Upgrading an electrical panel can cost you a lot more if you don’t plan your home improvement well. Acquiring a free estimate will help you create a realistic budget, do the right groundwork, and use the right methods and materials.
Naturally, you have to know the approximate cost to calculate what you can afford to spend. It’s also the best way to ensure that you don’t stumble across any unwelcome surprises during the execution of your project.
How does Kukun’s electrical panel upgrade estimator help you?
Getting an estimate through Kukun’s electrical panel upgrade cost estimator is easy. Just follow the steps below to get your custom, personalized total cost in minutes!
1. Enter the type or remodel by selecting 200 amp panel
200 amp panel: This project involves upgrading an existing panel to a new 200-amp service witness the minimum amperage recommended for average-sized modern homes. This estimated cost includes labor and materials. It does not include fork electrical socket prevention.
2. Enter your property details
Enter the full address to get ROI /recoup value of your house or just give zipcode to get just the renovation cost estimate.
And there you go! The cost to upgrade your electrical panel is ready!
With this estimate, you can analyze your finance options or hire a professional or a local utility company to get started on the work right away.
And, there’s more good news. We are happy to offer you options for professional remodeling contractors who have worked in your neighborhood and who have been vetted by your neighbors.
You can explore each contractor's profile, check out their online reviews, and view all their previous permits before hiring them.
The best way to upgrade your electrical panel? Always plan ahead
It's important to plan upgrading your electrical panels well in advance. It will ensure that your contractor is well-prepared to do the job correctly and safely.
Here are some tips to make the process easy and quick:
- Set a realistic home remodeling budget. Always include leeway for some surprise costs. Experts advise adding 20% extra to your existing budget.
- Work with expert electricians or electrical company. This is NOT a DIY project!
- Obtain a permit from the local building department.
- Be aware about your electrical issues. These could mean replacing faulty wiring or your existing electrical service, or installing high-amperage circuit breakers.
- Establish the size of the new electrical panel and the number of circuits required.
- Get all the necessary materials and tools.
- Choose quality wiring or structured wiring that consists of cables that enable the latest features in your electrical devices.
- Note that structured wiring will also increase the value of your home.
- Be prepared on the scheduled day. The utility company will disconnect the power for the upgrade work.
- An electrical panel upgrade usually takes 4 to 8 hours and can be done any time of the year.
- Upgrading the main electrical service of your house will significantly improve your electrical system and increase the capacity of the circuits.
- Get a guarantee as well as a written contract from your contractor. The document should detail the complete schedule and payment details.
These steps will help you avoid unexpected hassles and issues, and make your electrical panel upgrade smooth and safe. FYI: Upgraded electrical service panels are an important consideration for potential home buyers, so never delay getting it done.