(We do not share this information, but it helps us give you a better estimate because labor and material costs vary widely by geography.)
And there you go! An estimate for your interior painting cost is ready!
With this estimate, you can analyze your finance options or hire a professional to get started on the work right away.
We are also happy to offer you options for professional remodeling contractors who have worked in your neighborhood and who have been vetted by your neighbors. You can explore each contractor's profile, check out their online reviews,
view all their previous permits, and ask around your vicinity before hiring them.
Why should you estimate the cost for your home’s interior painting?
House painting (whether interior or exterior) is one of the quickest and easiest ways to give your home a facelift. A fresh coat of paint can give your abode the perfect makeover. Once you make the commitment to paint the interiors
of your home, you need to know how much of an investment you require for this home renovation.
A painting estimate helps you organize your home improvement project and effectively manage milestones and costs.
Acquiring a free estimate for your interior painting will help you create a realistic budget – getting you quality work at a fair price. It’s also the best way to ensure that you don’t stumble across any unwelcome surprises during
the execution of your project.
Also, a carefully planned remodeling project can greatly increase the value of your property in the home buyer’s market.
What is the average cost to paint the interior of a house?
On average, painting a home interior will cost you around $1,800 . The cost to paint a room will range from $200 to $1,000. Painting a 950 square foot apartment will cost you between $1,000 and $3,000. If you own a 2,300 square foot
home, you can expect to pay between $4,000 and $11,000.
Here are some more cost estimates according to the location of the paint work:
||$300 to $800 (a light-colored bedroom will require primer too)
|Living room or hallway
||$900 to $2,000 (more if you choose two different colors or accent walls, or have high ceilings)
||$150 to $400 (more if you choose high or semi-gloss paints over eggshell and matte finishes)
||$150 to $400 (painting kitchen cabinets will cost an extra $1,000 )
How does interior painting cost vary?
Your total cost of interior painting depends on the prep work, the quality of materials, the complexity of the project, the room’s square footage, the height of the walls, your zip code, local labor costs and the finishing details
– to name (more than) a few.
Professional interior painting will include labor costs. These will range from $1.50 to $4 per square foot or $20 to $75 per hour. Keep in mind that labor accounts for almost 75% to 85% of your total project cost.
Prices for painting supplies will start between $10 to $100. The amount depends on the materials you require for the paint job. While most professional painters provide all the essential materials, they might allow you to buy them
yourself. That way, you can save money and time.
Supplies typically include paint brushes, paint rollers, painter’s tape (to protect ceilings, walls and trim from droplets), drop cloths, paint trays and a step ladder apart in addition to paint and primer. Generally, one gallon of paint covers an area of about 400 square feet.
Types of paint
The total cost to paint a house will also depend on the type of paint you choose, and the brand. The glossier the paint is, the more it costs. Here are some of your paint options in terms of finish:
- Flat or matte paint : A good choice for bedrooms as it doesn’t reflect light. However, it’s a bit difficult to clean.
- Eggshell paint : A delicate paint option that’s perfect for your dining room.
- Satin paint : Since it's easier to clean and maintain, it’s a good choice for family rooms, hallways and children’s rooms.
- Semi-gloss paint : This stain-resistant paint is easy to clean – great for kitchens and bathrooms.
- High-gloss paint: This paint is durable and easy to clean but it’s definitely shiny. Looks great on doors and cabinets.
Other cost factors
There are other factors that affect your total cost estimate. These include:
- Paint quality : While an ordinary paint may cost you $20 to $30 per gallon, a designer one will be upward of $100.
- Choice of paint color : Changing a wall color tends to cost more. If you’re coloring a dark wall with a light hue, you will also need at least one coat of quality primer.
- Your zip code : If you live in an area that has a high cost of living, such as New York, San Francisco or Denver, you can expect to pay more.
The best way to install your garage door? Always plan ahead
It’s very important that you plan your interior painting well in advance. Here are some tips to make the process easy and quick:
- Set a realistic home remodeling budget. Always include leeway for some surprise costs. Experts advise adding 20% extra to your existing budget.
- Remove all your draperies, wall paintings and area rugs.
- Use drop cloths if moving furniture is not possible.
- Make sure that you work with quality paint tools, paint colors and equipment.
- Professional painters recommend one gallon for every 400 square feet.
- When using oil-based coatings, keep paint away from heat and open flame.
- Keep the area well-ventilated.
- Ensure that the surface to be painted is clean, dry, smooth and coated with the right primer.
- Work with an expert interior painting contractor. A professional finish goes a long way in adding to the beauty and value of your home. Usually, a paint job will not require a permit. Do check your local building code if in doubt.
- A pro will help you evaluate the coverage area and how many gallons of paint the project will need.
- Monitor the entire process.
- Be sure to get a warranty or guarantee from your contractor.
- Get a written contract from your contractor. The document should detail the complete schedule, deadlines for milestones, and payment details.
- Maintain a timeline in order to manage a seamless interior paint job.