What is Kukun’s home remodeling cost estimator?
Kukun's home remodeling cost estimator is a useful tool to help you calculate your renovation costs and ROI of home improvement projects instantly. The calculations are based on your area zip code as well as relevant parameters that affect the total cost.
Simply enter your specifications and the result will give you a realistic estimate of your total home remodel cost in minutes.
Some of the project costs that can be estimated include:
How to use this tool?
Getting an estimate through Kukun’s home remodel cost estimator is easy. Just follow the steps below to get your personalized total remodel cost in minutes! Here are some general steps with their options:
Step 1: Project Selection
Choose the project/projects you want to estimate the cost for. Our home renovation calculator will estimate the cost of each project and the return on your renovation investment.
Step 2: Type of Remodel
Choose the applicable type of home improvement
Addition: Adding new square footage to the house. If your remodel requires any new foundation, this is your go-to option
Renovation: Remodeling without any change to the walls.
Expansion: Expanding the existing area by moving walls within or outside the perimeter of the house
Step 3: Size of Space
Choose an applicable size from the below options
- Custom: Measurements according to your specifications
Step 4: Scope of Project
Choose the scope of work
- Cosmetic Changes: This level is perfect for those who are preparing to sell their home and tends to be cosmetic in nature so the home will present well. It offers the best return on your investment without needing a permit. Usually, it includes work such as adding flooring, countertops, faucets, a new toilet, light fixtures or a paint job.
- Typical Renovation: This level involves mostly new work and materials, from the drywall to fixtures and hardware. Depending on the type of the room, it could include new electrical or plumbing work, HVAC, tile work, hardwood flooring, etc. Note that a permit is required if walls are moved or anything is done with the plumbing or electrical.
- Down to the Studs: This level of renovation includes everything from the Typical Renovation, plus some interior structural rearrangement. In addition, it could mean installing new doors and windows, and custom materials. That translates to longer lead times and stretched job timelines. Here, you will require a permit. This is the level you need to strip all your walls.
Step 5: Finish Levels
Choose the desired finish level
- Budget-friendly: The budget-friendly option is an economical finish level and gives you the feeling you get when you step into a newly built home.
- Mid-range: Mid-range finish level is higher end, and includes higher quality materials and more personalized options such as recessed lighting, quality appliances, etc.
- High-end: Here, materials are high-end and customized to your tastes. Every material will be differentiated and may take a little longer to put together, but the finished product will be amazing.
Step 6: Property Details
Simply enter the full address to get the ROI/recoup value of your property along with the renovation cost estimate, or give your zip code to get just the renovation cost estimate.
What are the benefits of using Kukun’s estimator?
You will get an almost accurate estimate for all your remodeling projects. You can even play around with your selections to arrive at a figure that best meets your budget.
With this estimate, you can analyze your finance options and apply for a loan by comparing offers from our trusted lending partners.
Wait, there’s more. We even offer you options for professional remodeling contractors near you. You can conveniently explore each contractor's profile, check out their online reviews, and view all their previous permits and type of work before hiring them.
What is the average cost for a home remodel?
Whether you are stripping walls, adding square footage or simply upgrading your home, your first step is to estimate the budget of your planned renovation.
On average, home renovation costs vary between $18,000 to $70,000, with high-end projects costing up to $150,000. However, the actual overall cost will vary according to a lot of factors.
How do home renovation costs vary?
Your final cost will depend on several factors, including the number of rooms and the total square feet, the size of these rooms, the current condition of your property, material and local labor charges, your zip code, the scope of your renovation, etc.
For example, a bathroom remodel cost can range from $8,000 to $13,000 for a small bathroom with dimensions around 5′ x 8′. For a large master bathroom with dimensions around 10′ x 12′, your renovation cost can be around $40,000 to $50,000, depending on where you live and the cost of materials you choose.
Keep in mind that since older homes typically have outdated plumbing and electrical wiring, it will make the remodel more costly and time-consuming. Also, the cost per square foot increases for bigger houses.
How can you plan the best way to remodel a home?
Here are some tips to make the process easy and quick:
- Organize your renovation with thorough research in terms of all the requirements. Collect as much information from your neighbours and friends as possible.
- Set a realistic home remodeling budget. Always include leeway for some surprise costs. Experts believe that you should add 20% extra to the existing price range.
- Consult your calendar. Set an end date and work your way backward.
- Plan your home remodeling during an off-season. Avoiding the spring and summer rushes will be kinder on your wallet.
- Work only with expert contractors who you trust. A professional finish goes a long way in adding to the beauty and value of your home.
- Know which tasks you can safely tackle, and which should be handled by the pros, such as adding or removing a potentially load-bearing wall, or dealing with asbestos or lead paint.
- Keep in mind that your contractor should have expertise in all areas of home remodeling: construction, plumbing, electrical and lighting.
- Always ask for references. Don’t rely solely on client testimonials. Talk to actual customers who can give you their firsthand accounts and answer all your questions.
- Always, always, check your local building code for permit requirements as well as building inspections. Generally, most structural changes require permits.
- Make your house remodel as simple as possible. Declutter, pack up and move any items away from the renovation zone during the process.
- Ensure the safety of your kids, elderty family members and pets.
- Plan for outages in advance. Your remodeling might require you to shut the water and/or electricity off.
- Choose quality materials for the project even if they come at a higher price. There will be less repair work in the future.
- Get a written contract from your contractor with a warranty or guarantee, details of the complete schedule, deadlines for milestones and the payment process.
- Maintain a timeline in order to manage a seamless job.
These steps will help you avoid unexpected hassles and issues and make your home remodeling project run smoothly.