What is Kukun’s home renovation cost estimator?
Kukun's home renovation cost estimator is a useful tool to help you calculate your remodeling costs and the ROI of home improvement projects instantly. The calculations are based on your zip code as well as relevant parameters that affect the total house renovation cost.
Simply enter your specifications to get a realistic estimate of your total home remodel cost!
Renovation project costs that can be estimated include:
How do I use this tool?
Getting an estimate through Kukun’s home remodel cost estimator is super easy. Just follow the steps below to get your personalized total renovation cost right away!
Step 1: Project selection
Choose the project/projects you want to estimate the cost for. Our home renovation calculator will estimate the cost of each project and the return on your renovation investment.
Step 2: Type of remodel
Choose the applicable type of home improvement:
Addition: Adding new square footage to the house – if your remodel requires any new foundation, this is your go-to option
Renovation: Remodeling without any change to the walls
Expansion: Expanding the existing area by moving walls within or outside the perimeter of the house
Step 3: Size of space
Choose an applicable size from the options below:
- Custom: Measurements according to your specifications
Step 4: Scope of project
Choose the scope of work from these three options:
- Cosmetic changes: This level is perfect for those who are preparing to sell their home and tends to be cosmetic in nature so the home will present well. It offers the best return on your investment without needing a permit. It usually includes work such as adding flooring, countertops, faucets, a new toilet, light fixtures or a paint job.
- Typical renovation: This level involves mostly new work and materials, from the drywall to fixtures and hardware. Depending on the type of the room, it could include new electrical or plumbing work, HVAC, tile work, hardwood flooring, etc. Note that a permit is required if walls are moved or any work is done involving the plumbing or electrical.
- Down to the studs: This level of renovation includes everything from the typical renovation above, plus some interior structural rearrangement. It could also include installing new doors and windows, and custom materials. That translates to longer lead times and stretched job timelines. Here, you will require a permit. This is the level you need to strip all your walls.
Step 5: Finish levels
Choose your desired finish level:
- Budget-friendly: The budget-friendly option is an economical finish level and gives you the feeling you get when you step into a newly built home.
- Mid-range: The mid-range finish level is more luxurious, and includes higher quality materials and more personalized options such as recessed lighting and quality appliances.
- High-end: Here, all materials are high-end and customized to your tastes. Every material will be differentiated and may take a little longer to put together, but the finished product will be amazing.
Step 6: Property details
Simply enter the full address to get the ROI/recoup value of your property along with the renovation cost estimate, or enter your zip code to get your house renovation cost estimate only.
What are the benefits of using Kukun’s estimator?
You get a highly accurate estimate for all your renovation projects. You can even play around with your selections to arrive at a figure that best suits your budget.
With this estimate, you can analyze your finance options and apply for a loan by comparing offers from our trusted lending partners.
Wait, there’s more. We even offer options for professional remodeling contractors near you. You can conveniently explore each contractor's profile, check out their online reviews, and view all their previous permits and types of work before hiring them.
What’s the average cost for a home remodel?
Whether you’re stripping walls, adding square footage or simply upgrading your home, the first step is to estimate the budget of your planned renovation.
Home renovation costs vary between $18,000 to $70,000 on average, with high-end projects costing up to $150,000. However, the actual overall cost of your house renovation project will vary according to a lot of factors.
How do home renovation costs vary?
Your final cost will depend on several factors, including the number of rooms and the total square footage involved, the size of those rooms, the current condition of your property, local labor and material charges, your zip code and the scope of your project.
For example, a bathroom remodel cost can range from $8,000 to $13,000 for a small bathroom with dimensions around 5' x 8'. For a large master bathroom with dimensions around 10' x 12', your renovation cost could be around $40,000 to $50,000, depending on where you live and the cost of the materials you choose.
Keep in mind that since older homes often have outdated plumbing and electrical wiring, a remodel will be more costly and time-consuming. Also, the cost per square foot increases for bigger houses.
What’s the best way to plan a home renovation?
Here are some tips for making the process easy and quick:
- Organize your renovation with thorough research in terms of all the requirements. Collect as much information from your neighbours and friends as possible.
- Set a realistic home renovation budget. Always include leeway for some surprise costs. Experts recommend adding 20% extra to the existing price.
- Consult your calendar. Set an end date and then work your way backward.
- Plan your home renovation during an off-season. Avoiding the spring and summer rushes will be kinder on your wallet.
- Work only with expert contractors you trust. A professional finish will go a long way in adding to the beauty and value of your home.
- Know which tasks you can safely tackle, and which should be handled by the pros, such as adding or removing a potentially load-bearing wall, or dealing with asbestos or lead paint.
- Keep in mind that your contractor should have expertise in all areas of home remodeling: construction, plumbing, electrical and lighting.
- Always ask for references. Don’t rely solely on client testimonials. Talk to actual customers who can give you their firsthand accounts and answer all your questions.
- Always, always, check your local building code for permit requirements as well as building inspections. Generally, most structural changes require permits.
- Make your house remodel as simple as possible. Declutter, pack up and move any items away from the renovation zone during the process.
- Ensure the safety of your kids, elderly family members and pets.
- Plan for outages in advance. Your renovation might require you to shut the water and/or electricity off.
- Choose the best materials for the project that you can. There will be less repair work in the future.
- Get a written contract from your contractor with a warranty or guarantee, details of the complete schedule, deadlines for milestones and the payment process.
- Maintain a timeline in order to manage the most seamless job possible.
These steps will help you avoid unexpected hassles and issues, and make your home renovation project run that much more smoothly.