Should you opt for hiring professionals vs DIY?
Your average kitchen remodel cost also depends on whether you’ve decided to go ahead with a DIY project or want to hire certified contractors for the kitchen upgrades. Although the former will help you save money, it’s best to have kitchen experts working on your kitchen project. They will definitely make your kitchen renovation easier, quicker, and hassle-free.
Keep in mind that professional labor typically comprises 15 to 25 percent of the total kitchen remodel cost. According to the National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA), the labor cost national averages at 17 percent. Of course, this percentage varies depending on the size of the space and the features you wish to install in your kitchen.
For installation alone, homeowners can expect to pay $3,500 to $6,000. If you hire a kitchen designer to help you with your kitchen layout, material, and color scheme selection, it will cost you around $100 to $200 per hour.
How to remodel a kitchen?
Even though the professional kitchen contractors you hire will do most of the work for you, it’s always a good idea to know about some basic steps involved in a kitchen remodel. If you’re an enthusiastic homeowner, you’ll think of it as a rite of passage to help you understand the renovation process inside out.
And, remember that a good kitchen remodel requires careful planning and tons of patience!
Kitchen remodeling steps
- 1. Tear out or demolish the outdated parts of your kitchen that need replacing.
- 2. Complete the rough-in work such as framing and plumbing.
- 3. Finish the kitchen walls according to your project plan.
- 4. Add in new kitchen doors and windows if required.
- 5. Install kitchen countertops, backsplash, and custom cabinets.
- 6. Configure your plumbing and electrical needs and accordingly install electric and plumbing fixtures.
- 7. Place the new kitchen appliances and fasten cabinet hardware.
- 8. Install new flooring.
How much to remodel a kitchen is good enough?
According to industry estimates, homeowners should spend between 5% and 15% of the current value of their homes on a kitchen remodel in order to maximize their return on investment when it’s time to resell. Ultimately, only 4% of homeowners spend less than $5,000 and only 9% spend more than $100,000 on this kind of project.
Why should you estimate the cost of your kitchen remodeling project?
The kitchen is the heart of your home. That’s why a kitchen renovation can increase the value of your entire home.
Once you make the commitment to remodel your kitchen, you need to know how much of an investment you require for this home renovation.
An estimate helps you organize your home improvement project and effectively manage milestones and costs.
Acquiring a free estimate for your kitchen remodeling will help you create a realistic budget – getting you quality work at a fair price. It’s also the best way to ensure that you don’t stumble across any unwelcome surprises during the execution of your project.
How does Kukun’s kitchen remodel cost estimator help you?
Getting an estimate through Kukun’s kitchen remodel cost estimator is easy. Just follow the steps below to get your custom, personalized total cost in minutes!
1. Select the type of remodel you would like to do for your Kitchen by choosing from the three options
2. Enter the size of your kitchen
3. Enter the scope of work by choosing any of these options:
- Cosmetic changes
- Typical Renovation
- Down to the studs
4. Enter the finish level from the options below
- Budget friendly
5. You can further customize your kitchen remodel by adding more information about cabinets, countertops, backsplash and appliances
6. Enter the address and confirm the house details to calculate the recoup value
(You can rest assured, we do not share this information. It just helps us give you a better cost estimate because labor and material prices vary widely by geography.)
And there you go! An estimate for your kitchen renovation cost and recoup is ready!
With this free estimate, you can analyze your finance options or hire a professional to get started on the work right away. You can explore each contractor's profile, check out their online reviews and view all their previous permits.
The best way to remodel your kitchen? Always plan ahead
It’s very important that you plan your kitchen remodel well in advance. Here are some tips to make the process easy and quick:
- Be organized. This is the first mantra for a successful kitchen renovation.
- Consult a kitchen design expert before starting your remodeling project.
- Set a realistic home remodeling budget. Always include leeway for some surprise costs – experts advise adding 20% extra to your existing budget.
- Consider sticking to your current layout instead of taking down walls and moving gas lines, plumbing connections and electrical wiring.
- Check your local building code for all permit requirements, including for all the plumbing and electrical work.
- Work with expert kitchen contractors. A professional finish goes a long way in adding to the beauty and value of your home.
- Choose the cabinet and countertop materials that best suit your kitchen and style of house.
- Carefully plan your counter space and storage.
- Design wide walkways and make moving around easy.
- Make your kitchen cabinets and shelves easily reachable.
- Make sure the workflow (and work triangle) is not disturbed.
- Be sure to get a warranty or guarantee from your contractor.
- Get a written contract from your contractor. It should detail the complete schedule, deadlines for milestones and payment details.
- Maintain a timeline in order to manage a seamless job. Though you can renovate your kitchen anytime of the year, it’s economically wise to avoid the spring or summer rush.
These steps will help you avoid unexpected hassles and issues and make your kitchen remodeling project go smoothly.
Cost vs Value
Find the Recoup/ROI of your kitchen remodeling project in your zipcode Find ROI